After spending many weeks studying and digging through thousands of learning materials for the CFA exam, the last thing you want is to miss or fail it just because you forget to bring your ID or a calculator. Let us walk you through a full list of what to bring to CFA level 1 exam so that you can be best prepared for the exam day.
Let’s get started with our free CFA level 1 mock exam to pass the exam on your first try.
CFA exam rules and regulations during COVID-19 pandemic
CFA Institute will implement the following COVID processes in addition to the standard exam procedures:
- Distancing from society: Candidates will be seated approximately 6 feet (1.8 meters) apart, with the distance adjusted to meet local needs.
- COVID testing or application: Depending on local regulations, you may need to complete a questionnaire about COVID-19 symptoms. It’s possible that you’ll need to get your temperature checked as well.
- Examine the ID and the calculator: The proctor will ask you to hold your ID and calculator(s) for inspection. Your items will not be touched by the testing professionals. During ID verification, you will be requested to remove your face covering for a brief moment so that proctors can match your face to your passport photo.
- To avoid the (really ridiculous) crowds that occur at the end of every CFA exam, candidates will be discharged by room or section. To maintain social distance, procedures will be in place.
CFA exam days are now different from paper-based exams due to the altered scheduling windows/times with the new computer-based testing (CBT).
Here’s what happens on your exam day, in terms of time, with the decreased exam length of 2 hours and 15 minutes per session:
- Pledge, tutorial, and survey: 30 minutes
- Session 1 exam: 135 minutes
- Optional break: 30 minutes
- Session 2 exam: 135 minutes
The tests can take up to 4.5 hours, and the appointment can take up to 5.5 hours. As a result, please remember to arrive at least 30 minutes early, as the check-in process can take some time. A level 1 candidate in February 2021 reported that checking in took 45 minutes, and he was 15 minutes late for his official start time, but this did not affect his exam time.
CFA exam day checklist
ID/ International passport
A valid international passport is the sole form of identification that will be allowed for the CFA exam. Check that your passport isn’t expired, and bring two copies of your admittance ticket in case the first one is lost. It makes no difference if you’ve never visited outside of the country before. It makes no difference if you have a government-issued ID or license. You will be sent away if you show up for the exam without a valid international passport.
Unfortunately, one of the most frequently overlooked items on exam day is the passport. Plan ahead of time, grab your passport, and make sure it’s in your exam bag.
Don’t forget to bring a pencil for the CFA exam. Make sure you have HB or No. 2 pencils on hand, as well as a blue or black ink pen. Scanning equipment reads multiple-choice questions, which could be overlooked if you use the wrong ink. Bring a manual sharpener and eraser, as well as multiple pre-sharpened pencils (without the paper cover). In CFA computer-based exams. pencils are now not allowed since it’s not necessary.
You’ll also need an approved calculator, such as the TI BAII Plus, in addition to your entry ticket and passport. Extra calculator batteries or even a spare calculator should be considered.
Please note that only Texas Instruments BA II Plus (including BA II Plus Professional) and Hewlett Packard 12C business calculators will be accepted into the exam (including the HP 12C Platinum, 12C 30th-anniversary edition, 12C Platinum 25th anniversary edition, and HP 12C Prestige).
Calculators will be checked before and/or during the exam, so keep them visible on your desk. You may also bring loose batteries and calculator covers, as well as a small screwdriver to change the batteries if necessary. Just in case a proctor resets your calculator, you should rehearse how to adjust the settings. Some applicants have reported that the proctor reset their calculator before the exam, however, this does not occur in every case.
You are still able to sit for the CFA exam if you forget the following items, but you’ll be at your best if you’re comfortable and well prepared for whatever comes your way on exam day. These are some of the items that we recommend for you:
- A jacket or a sweater. If you feel too hot, you can simply remove a layer. However, if you aren’t prepared for an exam room that is a few degrees cooler than your usual temperature, you may be taken off guard.
- Mobile phones, cameras, computers, tablets, and bags (including clear ones) are not permitted in the exam room, although eyeglasses and wristwatches (but not smartwatches or fitness trackers) are. You may bring your wallet, keys, and eyeglass case into the exam room, but any gum, medicine, or tissues must be kept in your pockets.
- Earplugs: this is a case where you should expect the unexpected. While there is no reason why unwanted noise should be a problem in the testing facility, you should consider how noise from outside the room, or even outside the building, could be a distraction. If you need silence to perform at your best, bring some earplugs with you to create your own silence if necessary.
While some exam sites include cafeterias (and you are permitted to leave the building during the one-hour lunch break), those who have taken the exam suggest bringing your own meal to fill up between the morning and afternoon sessions. That way, you won’t waste your valuable hour off fighting crowds and can instead relax and prepare for the day ahead. Past candidates have also said that cafeterias are sold out and that exiting the building means risking being late.
Read more >> CFA level 1 exam day tips
COVID-related items to bring to the exam:
At all times, you must wear a facial covering that covers both your mouth and nose. According to the CDC’s guidelines, both medical masks and fabric face coverings are permitted. Due to the lack of viral particle filtering provided by these masks, they are not permitted to be worn at the testing center. Wearable technological masks are also prohibited. During ID verification, you will be requested to remove your facial covering for a brief period of time.
The CFA Institute has said that you will not be allowed to take the exam if you do not have or refuse to wear a face mask (no refunds). Face masks will not be provided by CFA Institute/Prometric, so please remember to bring your own. Bring several masks just in case you lose one.
Additional Personal Protective Equipment (not obligatory)
Sanitizing gear (not obligatory)
What are items not allowed in the CFA exam room
There are a few things you may not be aware of. On exam day, the CFA Institute strictly prevents you from leaving your desk area. These are some of the items:
- Food and beverages: get your coffee and nourishment fix before entering the testing center.
- Notes and textbooks or any kinds of learning materials should be kept at home or in your backpack in the personal belongings section.
- Mobile phones, cameras, computers, tablets, and other technology that have become a part of daily modern life are examples of tech tools.
- Highlighters, rulers, and correction fluid or tape
- Any type of luggage, including pencil boxes and huge purses. It is permissible to bring a small wallet or money purse.
- Calculator manuals, scratch paper, and present/future value tables
- Any form of timer or desk clock is not allowed.
FAQs – What to bring to CFA Level 1 exam?
What are the most challenging topics for the CFA level 1 exam?
Almost surveys show that the hardest part of CFA level 1 for CFA test candidates is often FI, followed by Derivatives, and FRA
Should I use the 30-minute break?
Yes, taking a break is beneficial. You can utilize time to have a light snack, drink some water, and use the restroom before starting the second session. It isn’t a particularly long break. When you factor in the time it takes to check in when you return from your break, you only have approximately 15-20 minutes of actual break time to grab a drink, snack, or go to the restroom. Returning late for the second session will damage your exam time, so keep this in mind.
Is there a place where I can keep items that I can’t bring into the exam room?
At the CBT test centers, there will be a personal belongings room with lockers.
Is it okay if I borrow or share calculators during the exam?
No. If you need to borrow a calculator, you must do so before the start of each exam session. Before you do anything else, ask a proctor for help if you have any problems during the exam.
Being unprepared or relying on luck will not help you pass the CFA exam. You’ll be better prepared to take the CFA exam without unnecessary obstacles and distractions if you make sure you have the items you need and don’t have any that are disallowed.
That’s all about what to bring to CFA level 1 exam. You’ve put in a lot of effort and money to study for the exam. Now is not the time to let a lack of preparation hinder your chances of success. We hope that you can prepare everything thoroughly and pass your upcoming exam.
A Full NAPLEX Study Guide For Your First Try
If you are a current pharmacy student, NAPLEX would be an indispensable step. Equip yourself with this full NAPLEX study guide for your first try.
What Are The State Requirements Of West Virginia TASC Test?
If you live in West Virginia state and are about to take the TASC test. This information about the West Virginia TASC test might be what exactly you need now.
What Is The NAPLEX Passing Score?
Before setting foot on the preparation for the NAPLEX exam, you definitely need to know the NAPLEX passing score to set up a plan and goal for your preparation.